 Space / 5753
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update! 1/3/01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 04:16:59 GMT

in article G6MC55.Jts@lugnet.com, Jonathan Mizner wrote:

Pretty neat design.  I must agree with Mladen, though.  It lacks
excitement.  The Neverwhere was interesting, with secret weapons, opening
compartments, and a radical new design.  The ISP HF-300 is just kind of,
well, boring.  No offense, but it would have been better if it had some sort
of special features, or else a more streamlined shape.  It looks like a
cross between a blocky, run-of-the-mill mass-cargo transport, and a
high-speed courier.

That's what it is: an IPS Freighter. It's made to haul stuff real fast.

Modern-day UPS trucks aren't very exciting either.

In fact, it looks an awful lot like my pitiful attempts
to build medium-sized ships.  It lacks detail, in short.

It's supposed to look like a sleek, corporate shipping vessel.

Add weapon pods, turrets,

Why? It's a corporate freighter. It travels the Space Police patrolled
shipping lanes. Besides, if every freighter had weapons, then Jonathan
Splork wouldn't have anything to do in the Lightnin' Jack. ;^)

sensors

It has those in the front.

windows

It has those in the cockpit.

, a hanger

On a freighter?

or something else unusual.

On a corporate vehicle?

Perhaps even a few movable fins even?

Hmmm.. I don't think so.

Overall, it has some neat elements (design, not parts).  But I believe that a
design is either one of two things: based of a unique shape, or based on
unique arrangement of pieces.

So it's not a design? Huh? This was *designed* to look like a corporate
shipping vessel.

It doesn't seem to be one or the other.  Please do not interpret this comment
as negative.  I do like this ship, as I do all of your creations.  But I like
your other models better than this one.

Well, it is negative, but that's ok. You aren't required to like all my
models all the time. I'm not offended. :^)

However, when making criticisms, you might first consider the intent of the
model. This thing wasn't supposed to be a souped-up bounty hunter's ship
like the Neverwhere. It's supposed to be a corporate freighter.

I suppose people have become too used to seeing radical designs from me :^)

Whatever happened to the Spiffcraft X-1?  Was it ever found?  Is there
going to be a follow-up on it?

We shall see. Basically it depends on when I get enough time and the
inclination to make a story.

Thanks for your comments.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--