 Space / 1325
Re: 2 Hovertanks Added to Website!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 06:21:19 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mladen Pejic writes:
I just don't get you Sproat. Every model I built and am not too fond (Heavy
Assualt Mech, Gunship), you seem to love.

Hmmm.  No offense, but if you're trying to impress me, then you're
reaching for the wrong audience.  I just try to impress MYSELF first and
foremost -- everything else is just icing on the cake.

But in all fairness, you have a talent for making certain shapes and using
certain piece combinations, that I envy.  There are many of your models
which exhibit this talent, that I like.  I actually really like most of
your models, and there aren't any I dislike; I just haven't said much
about the others.  So I will now.  Remember, you asked.  ;-)

I really think I did a bad job on the
Heavy Assault Mech, first off the legs suck, second it's too boxy, third the
arms are too thin, forth the gun just plain SUCKS, and etc.

Ah, but some of these details I like.  Take, for example, the legs.  (Now
give them back.  Old joke.  :-) They're round, they *look* like human legs
in that they have curves and such to represent the shape of the muscle.
Now take the boxy shape.  It *looks* like a vehicle.  And in my opinion,
the arms aren't too thin and the gun looks cool.

The gunship, first
it has nothing above or below it, second the side cannons SUCK, third the 8
front cannons SUCK, forth it's too boxy, and etc.

I took the gunship's low profile to be its greatest asset.  Take, for
instance, the Apache Longbow.  Sure it's tall, but when viewed against a
horizon or amongst terrain, its overall "flat" shape helps to hide it and
subsequently ensure a more efficient kill.

I'm sorry Jeremy I just
thought alot more people would like my better models, like the Light Attack
Fighter (this is my second fav model),

I like this one.  Expect to see me stealing both your wing design, as well
as the front gun, in the future.

Spidertank (ok, ok I know a lot of
people do like this model, my fav model period),

And it's got a way cool name too!  :-,

Micro Exploration Ship (I was
going for a utilitarian look),

Would you believe me if I told you that I have a couple unpublished models
in this vein?  I discovered that it's less impressive (again, for MYSELF
only; don't let this affect your judgement of your models) to show an
everyday model, than it is to discuss it.  Which is also why I don't do town
models very often.

An example: your average bread truck.  Bread trucks are awesome.  Bread
trucks are fun to ride in, and they have lots of tasty goodies in the
back.  Bread trucks make sure that many people get the food they need to
survive.  Society owes a lot to the bread truck.  I love bread trucks.
But to me they look boring, like, well, a bread truck.  Now Barbara, on
the other hand, she'll put tons of effort into making sure her bread truck
looks authentic and fun to play with.  (No, I'm not announcing a new
model!  :-) She'd get incredibly jealous of someone else's bread
truck-building talents.  Many other folks are the same way.  But not me.

Hovertank (I love the way the Hoverbed Pods
ended looking like real treads),

Liked this one, envied it.  :-,

Dropship (the landing gear retract, people,
isn't that cool, obviously not to YOU guys),

Not to me, sorry.  :-, I'm not much of a technic-head, and in general
nifty and practical moving parts *intimidate* me.  As well as large
minifig-scale vehicles.  But I DID like the double canard/wing design, the
door, and all the little texture details you put on it.  Again, be aware
that I'll, erm, "borrow" these ideas.

Micro Dropship (I know alot of
people like it),

Jealousy.  I had that idea for steering wheels too, I just haven't ever
applied it.

satellite (how many LEGO satellites do you see people?),

What impressed me about this one is its three-way symmetry.  But a
satallite is an everyday thing; see my reception of your Exploration Ship,
above.

Shuttle (any Star Trek fan can see what I was going for, but not you guys).

I always *hated* the little magical warp-capable living-room-sized Star
Trek shuttle.  But again, that's just me; 143,000,000 Star Trek fans would
have a word with me on that.  :-,

Any
way any comments in this horrendously long and boring message should not be
taken serioulsy, cause obviously "I was jus' f---in' wit' u guys!"

Well, I guess I took it a *little* seriously, because you obvisouly put
quite a lot of effort into your site, and you weren't receiving the
feedback you expected.  And I sympathise 100%, because I never get the
feedback that I want, either.  But, I've discovered that most people don't
say much about published material, whether or not they like it.  I guess
that's why I just try to impress myself, and am happily surprised when I
discover more people like my stuff.

Cheers,
- jsproat