 Space / 28113
Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:52:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:

Now that I disagree with.  I don't think the standard should bend because we
need tall trains.  Just make em short.  Like Larry said, even some mining
carts are only 48" tall.

That's great and all but most people don't commute to work in mining
carts : P  We can live with the height, I guess, but what about the
width ?  An eight stud wide road isn't even wide enough to get realistic
cargo containers through : (  10 would be workable, but 12 would be better.

This is going to be impossible to nail down until an actual layout is done at
NWBrickCon (hope I spelled that right).  Some modules don't have connectors on
all sides.

I think that someone should take track at NWBC and use it to eyeball trouble
spots for a train, and see how easy it would be to avoid those areas in a future
layout.

I ALSO think we should scrap trains for NWBC and concentrate on monorail &
moonways; these two travel options are less space-intensive (SPACE).  Let's get
some measurements & logistics worked out.

We shouldn't compromise the integrity of the MB standards much more to
accomodate bigger train cars.  If trains can't adhere to a 6-wide standard with
some spillover greebling, our MB's get smaller & smaller.  It should ALWAYS be
about the MoonBase, not the accessories.

-nk