 Space / 28090
Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:36:03 GMT

Mike brings up some good points about clearances etc., but I think we
can avoid these problems all together with two simple rules :

1.  Moonbase trains = six studs wide max.  We can make "soft seal"
airlocks to allow un-suited moonbase personel to board pressurized train
cars.
2.  Don't use curves on small layouts.  Since a layout is likely to be
U,L,T, or I shaped, a few intersecting straight lines with trains that
reverse takes care of things with out wasting valuable moonbase real estate.

I'm working on some pics to show what I mean...

Mike Petrucelli wrote:
Well I am not a real serious train guy, but I do like them in addition to space
so... I think using the exsisting pathways would create all sorts of logistics
problems. A train could not be more than 7 wide because we wouldn't want them
scraping along the sides of modules. (I think it is generally wise to have a 10
stud width between any section of track and it would only be 8 on the existing
pathways) The first (and second if its a long car) straight track after a curve
would have to be kept clear to allow the cars to straighten out on the track
before going through such close quaters. On the flip side it would allow us to
not have to monkey with the "4 studs to the edge" rule. That would prevent a
whole mess of trouble with the modules themselves but would make it hard to
build stations and impossible to build enclosed stations. I don't know if that
helps or just adds to the confusion. :-)

-Mike Petrucelli