 Space / 28105
Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:26:55 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
Here's a better example of how we could integrate train tracks into a
moonbase by running it through the space previously reserved for "roads."

This is a super module with train track encircling it :
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/traintest2.jpg

I can think of three reasons right off.

1) This requires the coordination and cooperation of the neighboring module. A
road requires little infrastructure when compared to rail. (at least when you
are looking at moonbase construction)

2) I'm assuming that there is less clearance where the modules connect due to
the locking pins and related flange. Offsetting back the 4 studs allows the
module builder to avoid the flange and gain a brick or so in height. (I'm going
off memory, so my facts might be a little skewed...)

3) Offsetting the 4 studs also allows two lines to run next to each other on
adjacent modules creating a "rail corridore" without interference.

-Duane