 Space / 28112
Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:32:00 GMT

Jon Palmer wrote:
"Xanthra47" <jmantor@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

Yeah.  I'll retract those two rules.  They are too limiting.  I tried to
build a sample train/corridor model and it just doesn't fit : (
I think if we're going to do trains we need to revisit the corridor
height/setback again.  Even the new 10 brick height spec isn't enough
for a metroliner-ish train to clear : (  I think we need 12 bricks high
and 6 studs of setback.  That'd let us run 8 or 10 wide trains between
modules with no problems.  Check out this pic to see what I mean.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/xanthra47/moonbase/traincar.jpg

Now that I disagree with.  I don't think the standard should bend because we
need tall trains.  Just make em short.  Like Larry said, even some mining
carts are only 48" tall.

That's great and all but most people don't commute to work in mining
carts : P  We can live with the height, I guess, but what about the
width ?  An eight stud wide road isn't even wide enough to get realistic
cargo containers through : (  10 would be workable, but 12 would be better.