 Space / 15553
Re: Builder's Block
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:46:36 GMT

In lugnet.space, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:

But the problem is that for something like, say, a ship, you have a
definate idea of how to start, you know what a ship looks like, has in it,
etc.  But in space, you have to make up a new idea, and proceed along it,
which can be difficult.  It seems like many ideas are already taken.  And
another problem I've found is that people rarely ever reply to a small ship,
(unless you're a famous builder,) and I just have a twelve year old's
collection, because I_am_twelve!

I think I see your point.  Although you shouldn't be discouraged simply
because a general idea has been done before, or because some builders here
have larger collections with more experience.  Nor should you worry too much
about the praise (or lack thereof) of MOCs that are posted.  Yes, it is true
that larger MOCs get more attention, partly because they take more time to
think out and construct, so that makes it impressive to most people.

Ditto.

Just because something has been done before is no reason not to do do it
yourself.  I still build every Lego Set I get to the instructions, even
though *everybody's* already done it.  I get a kick out of seeing how I can
make it better.  Same goes for other people's mocs.  If you like it build
it, and improve upon it.

We should probably expect there to be some consistencies around some ships
anyway. After all, they're all grappling with the same issues of volume,
pressure, power, control and weapons.  Much of the design around a ship may
well come from the uses to which it is to be put.

Sometimes the variations will only be in scaling, colouration and equipment.
There are probably only about four different kinds of helicopter - the
differences are in how they are scaled (wider/taller/longer/sleeker/more
stout(?)), the livery, and what's hanging off them and housed in them in
terms of crew and equipment.

And building for yourself not for others is always a good guiding light.
Its always nice to get a pat on the head from time to time, but building for
the purpose of recognition is probably always going to be fraught with
problems and not much fun.  (Been there, done that)

Size does get attention, but that's partly because the folks that can
afford,  build and host pics of the big stuff are probably going to be among
the better builders (myself excluded, obviously :-)  On the upside this
means that its probably still the sexy building that gets the attention.
Look at all the buzz around the alphabet-wing ships!  Most of these are
smallish in themselves, but just gorgeous.

Having said that, Lugnet is a lot less supportive than it used to be.  There
are some terrific models out there that do not seem to create the hubbub
they might once have.  And there are also some models that are spectacular
considering the builder's experience and resources that most folks just
gloss over.  I know that there are a heap of Lunget cynics who think that
this is a good thing, that praise ought only be dispensed in respect of mocs
that meet some open and absolute standard of quality.  I am not one of these
guys :-) but often times I don't know the builder well enough to know
whether their work is impressive or not on this more qualified scale.

See!  Worrying about praise is a bucket of badness.

Just build what you like.

Richard
Still baldly going...

I may not know my art, but I know what I like...
Pirates! http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/welcome.htm
Oh oh, and Space! http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/welcome.htm