 Space / 15518
Re: Builder's Block - AHHHHHHHHH!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 02:06:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, folks write of the need to deal with Builder's Block.

Some thoughts come to mind of how I have dealt with this in the past:

Don't deal with it
  (caution, this may lead to a new Dark Age)

Change scale - build BIGGER stuff
  (caution, this may lead to the Dark Side - cheaper megabrikium for hulls)

Extend the story
  (which kind of assumes you have a storyline to begin with - if not,
  get one!)

  Stories can go forward or backward in time too.  I started out
  as an Imperial Guard, and started a little site/story.  This
  extended into Pirates, then colonies and then an Imperial
  Navy.  Voila, Port Block.

  http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/welcome.htm

  In odd moments, I would buy and fiddle with non pirate
  (generally Star Wars) sets, so Port Block extended by
  focussing on one business (Port Block Yards) that worked on
  vehicles/vessels over a grand time period.

  http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/welcome.htm

  This lead to building bigger wet navy ships
  http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/welcome.htm
    (careful, that's MB)

  Re-integrating pirates lead to space pirates
    http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/esp/welcome.htm
    http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/005.htm
    http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/010.htm

  And space pirates (agents of chaos) lead on to Port Block
  Yards starships (agents of order)
    http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/009.htm
    and HES Sirius (built along the lines of HES Supply, only
    bigger and more heavily weaponned).

But my favourite and most successful solution is:

Build from a very small idea
  (caution, this may lead to a need for waaay more blocks)

  This is about starting from a very simple premise - wouldn't
  [idea] make a great [hull, bridge, corridor, docking port,
  weapon, interspatial hyperdrive reflux dampening] section!?

  Build just that bit and then flesh out the ship around it.
  Both the Saucy Sharon and Supply started out this way.

  One started from the idea of a ship built around two
  intersecting corridor sections, and the other from the
  simple ribbed outer hull structure (which is proving
  rather attractive and a dream to build with - provided you
  have 8 million grey 2x4 bricks, ahhhh megabrikium).

Your mileage may vary, obviously :-)

Richard
Still baldly going...