 Space / 15516
Re: BUILDER'S BLOCK - AHHHHHHHHH!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:31:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:

I, too need ideas.  I have just sorted about half of my pieces, and want to
make a space ship!  But no ideas.  The pirate base and Merchant ship I'm
building come easy, there is a basic template that you can make infanite
amounts of varation on.  But not space!

Why can't you make infinite variation in Space?  If anything, I would think
Space would be bounded only by your imagination.  Arguably Pirates and
Castle have certain, albeit not great, limits based on our perspective of
the historical or sword & sorcery fantasy.  But with Space you could develop
a whole new idea and it could still work.

Don't get me wrong, I love all themes.  In fact (to answer the original
question in this thread) that is my solution to Builders Block: keep a wide
interest in themes.  This way, if my inspiration for Castle building fades I
can take a break and build Town.  If that fades, I can build Space.  Etc.
Typically, this switch occurs about once a year with me (with shorter breaks
for small contest-inspired MOCs).

The other cure (for me) for Builders Block, is to keep active in other
hobbies, especially reading and writing.  I read mostly ancient and medieval
history, so when I read it is only a matter of time before I learn about
some long forgotten device used by a lost empire.  Naturally, I start to
wonder how such a thing might be rendered in Lego.  ...When I write, it is
mostly science fantasy, and that inspires me to build Lego models of
characters, spacecraft, cities, etc. that I develop.

Cheers,
-Hendo