 Space / 15542
Re: BUILDER'S BLOCK - AHHHHHHHHH!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:10:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:

But the problem is that for something like, say, a ship, you have a
definate idea of how to start, you know what a ship looks like, has in it,
etc.  But in space, you have to make up a new idea, and proceed along it,
which can be difficult.  It seems like many ideas are already taken.  And
another problem I've found is that people rarely ever reply to a small ship,
(unless you're a famous builder,) and I just have a twelve year old's
collection, because I_am_twelve!

I think I see your point.  Although you shouldn't be discouraged simply
because a general idea has been done before, or because some builders here
have larger collections with more experience.  Nor should you worry too much
about the praise (or lack thereof) of MOCs that are posted.  Yes, it is true
that larger MOCs get more attention, partly because they take more time to
think out and construct, so that makes it impressive to most people.

I remember when I was 12.  With the size of my collection and limitations of
my budget back then, it would have been impossible for me to build some of
the larger MOCs I've done in recent years.  Instead, back then, I built most
all of my MOCs to be similar in size to sets that TLC actually produced.
This had the added advantage that my models were compatible with TLC sets
that I kept intact.  In fact, I continue to build that way even today (with
most Town and Space things I do anyway; I go bigger with Castle).  And I
love seeing MOCs online that keep things "set-size".

I think the big difference between you now versus me then is that you have
access to the creative thoughts of the online AFOL community.  When I was
12, I had an Apple II+, which was old even then.  Except for the occasional
Lego Idea Book, all of my inspiration had to come from within.  I didn't
have BrickShelf or Lugnet.  But I did have this ingenius time-tested process
called play.  I would start with what I had and play.  I would give the
mini-figures personalities, sometimes names.  And when the faceless Battrax
pilot rammed through the Alpha-I Rocket Base leaving a smoldering ruin, well
it was clearly time for the good guys to build something better.  From that
play, I developed the need to build a new base.  I didn't have the money for
a new one, nor did I need it -I was using Lego.  So the elements from the
Alpha-I were used to build a MOC, known as FSPC Outpost A12.  The guys at
the new outpost used a few of the old X-1 Patrol Crafts to blast the Battrax
back to Hades.  So naturally, a Blacktron MOC was soon to come.... and so on...

I still *play* with Lego from time to time, though not nearly as often as I
used to.  I've developed too many other hobbies and my Lego time is limited
to building and setting up scenes for display.  But I still think that play
can be one good way to find inspiration for building.  It is through play
that the minifigs develop into characters.  And when you see your characters
begin to interact, you also begin to see what is missing from their world.
When you see what is missing.  You see what you need to build next...
Dealing with the challenge of *how* to build it is all part of the fun that
is Lego.

If these ideas fail, and if all else fails, you will be left with only one
option (short of gifting your collection to me <kidding!>):  You will have
to stage a mini-brickfest.  Invite all your friends over to your parent's
basement, dump all your spare Lego parts on the floor, and have everyone go
nuts having fun!     :)

Cheers,
-Hendo