 Space / 15536
Re: Builder's Block - AHHHHHHHHH!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:12:49 GMT

But my favourite and most successful solution is:

Build from a very small idea
(caution, this may lead to a need for waaay more blocks)

This is about starting from a very simple premise - wouldn't
[idea] make a great [hull, bridge, corridor, docking port,
weapon, interspatial hyperdrive reflux dampening] section!?

Build just that bit and then flesh out the ship around it.

I completely agree with this - having just broken down and
sorted my collection of sets, I found the drawers of coloured
bricks quite hard to get to grips with. I used to build space
things before my Dark Ages so I thought that'd be a good place
to start.

Pick a nice part and think about ways to use it. Both my ships
(Tug and Medevac) started with a cockpit - I wanted to use
the Slave 1 cockpit, and that ended up as the tug. But it nearly
became a combat dropship...

The Medevac started off as a study in naval-style bridges, but
ended up as something completely different.

Another thing that might help is sorting parts by colour. If I
sit on my sofa to build I can only realistically hope to use
four or five parts drawers simultaneously - there isn't room
for any more. I pick the set of colours I want, starting with
the nice part I've chosen, and choosing things which go with
that colour.

Then you can let the colour start to suggest function by
following conventions. Yellow means construction equipment,
red or white means medical, blue might be police, and so on.

Of course, if you mainly have grey parts this isn't so easy
since anything in space can be grey...

One final suggestion - build something teeny-tiny, like a
rover, mini-mech, one-man shuttle, cargo pod or something
like that. Then think about how to make a bay to put it in,
and work up from that. 2 MOCs for the price of one? Result.

HTH,

Will