 Robotics / Vision Command / 131
Re: was (RCX+PC=Rubik's Cube Solver) RCX & VC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:16:55 GMT

Hi Eric,

I disagree in some points.

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Sophie writes:
Ok, VC has Motor control, Simply choose a Vision Template and build your
command stack using the RCX Motor control.

Please notice, that you can build your own vision templates.
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/viscommand.htm

The RCX cannot run normal RCX
code while VC makes use of the RCX,

That's not true ! The VC software downloads a little program (myprog.txt) to
your RCX. This little program reacts to (8) IR messages send from your IR tower
to your RCX in that way you decided in the VC software (e.g. brake, play tone,
...)
You can download a NQC program to any slot you want except of slot 5, which the
VC software uses. If you edit the myprog.txt, you can switch to one of the left
4 slots and automatically execute the NQC program located there.
This was discused here before and Michael Gasperi puts this hack on his hombrew
sensor site. Have a look there, it's described in detail.
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/viscommand.htm

nor can the RCX pass sensor readings to
VC. VC does not down load the command stack program to the RCX. Instead VC
makes use of the IR Tower and sends the commands real time.  So you need
"line of sight" when using the RCX to control motors with VC. You can
"Interlace" other RCX Sensors to the motion controlled by VC.

Example.

I have 1 RCX controlling the up/down motion of the head of my Robot - Motor
port A, this receives it's instructions from VC via the IR tower. RCX 2 has
a Rotation Sensor conected to the aforementioned drive system. When RCX 2
detects Rotational values, RCX 2 triggers one of it's Motor ports causing
the Head to turn Left/Right.

Also, I have used VC and one RCX in the following Manner.

I stand in front of the Robot. I extend my arm outwards, and move my arm to
the left, the Robot "sees" this and directs motor control to move it's Left
arm in the same manner. When I moved my arm to the Right, the Robot Moves
it's Arm to the right in the same way.

Limitations:

Real time, Line of Sight required between the RCX and Vision Command/ IR • Tower.
No sensor inputs from the RCX to VC. unless you direct a motor port to turn
on a Light and set one of the vision fields to watch for light. - or rig a
motor to diplay color or cause motion.
Only the Three (3) Motors ports can be controlled from the RCX by VC.
RCX can only "Run" the current VC program in Real time, no programming or
use of the 5 program slots is supported.

See above and Michael Gasperis homepage !
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/viscommand.htm

Some of these things you may or may not know about VC, I would say that it's
a trully great inovation! One that has brought more life into My latest
Robot than I ever imagined! BUY ONE !!!!!

Please feel free to ask if you still have questions, but please be specific
because I'm not sure if you know some of these things or not. I rather be
helpful than be redundant.....

Good luck!!!

VC and RCX in New Robot:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=39692

Regards

Rainer

P.S.: I had a look at your robots, incredible !! Do you earn money with this ?