 Robotics / 15217
Re: RCX+PC=Rubik's Cube Solver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:39:58 GMT

Brian --

I'm curious to know what cube-solving algorithm you use.

It's a simple VC++ port of Mike Reid's sub-optimal [sic] C implementation of
Herbert Kociemba's method, which I compiled as an OCX.  I found the source on
the web at ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.2/sac/educult/miker.zip (58k).  Mike's version
produces the permutation tables from scratch, takes a string description
(standard Singmaster notation) representing the initial state of the cube from
stdin, and then works down through the search levels printing any solutions it
finds to stdout.  I just changed things a little so that you passed the initial
string across as an argument to an OCX.  The error handling on my version is
truly fragile at the moment, which is why I'm not distributing the code yet.

BTW - how long does it take to solve a particular random
arrangement?

I suspect it depends somewhat on the initial facelet arrangement.  The NQC code
moves the cube between three standard orientations, presenting either LR, UD or
FB faces to the LEFT and RIGHT grabbers (U,F and L are always presented to the
LEFT grabber; D,B, and R are always presented to the RIGHT grabber) so there's
quite a lot of time taken on the repositioning of the cube between twists. If
there are a lot of repositions from T/D to L/R the solution time could be
significantly longer than if the majority of repositions were from L/R to F/B.
I'll try to find time to put a timer into the NQC code and get some typical
numbers for the handling phase over the weekend.

Cheers,

JP