 Robotics / 15219
Re: RCX+PC=Rubik's Cube Solver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 06:04:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jonathan Brown writes:
No offence taken.  I think it's almost certainly doable completely onboard the
RCX, and I considered this as an option.  The reasons I didn't do this are as
follows:

1.  Couldn't think of a another good way of reading the cube facelets.

Color discrimination of the LEGO light sensor is too poor to read the face
colors accurately.  Of course, one could retrofit the cube faces with
gray-scale patches or other aids to proper discrimination, but I was aiming at
a general solution to all 3^3 cubes, rather than a solution only for specially
retrofitted cubes.

One other way would be to use homebrew CdS sensors -- that looks doable from my
early experiments on sensor response to the cube patches (indeed, it may well

I have been sort of heading that way for the last few weeks. Mainly due to
the cost, and the fact that I usually use the Light Sensor with the IR as
sonar, and I was thinking that I might get better distance with a passive
(CdS) sensor.

My latest robot is very wide and very short ( 5" x 20"), so I want to
implement two IR Sonars, one each side so it can tell which way to turn when
approaching a wall.

Regards
Gordon