 Robotics / 15280
Re: RCX+PC=Rubik's Cube Solver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:25:34 GMT

Tim,

BTW - how long does it take to solve a particular random
arrangement?

I rebuilt CubeSolver over the weekend to use
touch-sensors-at-quarter-turn-limits on the LEFT and RIGHT grabbers.  No
problems with repeatable positioning now.  I did some timing with this new
setup...

The solution time (i.e., from the solution moves being downloaded to the RCX to
the completion of the solution) is between 25 and 30 seconds per quarter twist.
I.e., if you have a solution of 20 quarter twists, then the solution will take
about 10 minutes.  That's slower than even a moderately expert cube solver, but
(I must confess) it's waaaaay faster than I can do it on myself.

Cheers,

JP