 Robotics / 27226
27225  |  27227
Subject:
Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:48:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

   Well, I blogged about it, and wanted to make sure I shared it with the folks
that inspired me (LUGNET). I've never been really interested in LEGO boats,
because in the first place I couldn't see much use for them (guiding a robot
over featureless water being... somewhat challenging), and in the second place
an all-LEGO solution was hard to come by... but then LEGO released new sets with
floating hulls, and I got interested again. so I put together "Serenity", a
proof-of-concept NXT-based water-craft:

On NXTlog:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/nxtlog/ProjectDisplay.aspx?id=7c3c86fc-0895-412d-a575-a8effaf79e07

or for a shorter URL that will still get you there:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/nxtlog/projectlist.aspx?SearchText=serenity

I've also got a YouTube video up. Sending a completely autonomous craft into the
drink was... well, a leap of faith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7gQdt7Cu8

I also blogged about it on theNXTstep (http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/), but
I've not yet put up any more pics on Brickshelf. Critical to making this work
was the compass sensor, as with that I've finally got a way to at least judge
direction on a featureless plain of water. Now if I can just hack a GPS into
this and expand the base, I could get it out on a proper lake...

PLMKWYT, and while we're at it, looking at the above scattered list... dang,
maybe I ought to enter the 20th century and get my own website. Huh.

--
Brian Davis