 Robotics / 27230
Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:28:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:

...absolutely cool!

Thank you very much!

I would like to attract your attention to a rather old
Italian site (1999).
http://users.libero.it/riccardo.rocca/roboat.htm.
...At that time a pioneer work!

Actually, there still seem to be relatively few robotic water-craft around, to
my surprise. That is an excellent project, and I'd not seen it. I'm also really
glad I did not have to go the same route as he did (that's a heck of a magnetic
compass sensor, for instance). I'd like to add a GPS unit to Serenity (or the
next version - there's not a lot of "tonnage unallocated" with only two LEGO
Fireboat hulls), BT connected to the NXT. This would seem a fun way to do this,
and having an established positioning system would be vital.

I'm not sure I have that quite a big lake, however - most places that size
around here, on a good day my little Serenity would get run over by some
motorboat. Perhaps it needs a flag to alert others, but then there's more wind
drag... Fun problem.

I'm not sure how long the little underwater motors will last - I suspect, driven
by only 1 AA battery, these are likely the first things to "power down" on a
long trip. I could get around this by using the NXT motors (geared faster
probably), but then I need to make sure the NXT itself has enough power... and
the fact that the web page you directed me to uses an exteranl Pb-acid battery
is not reassuring :-).

Long-term, I may have to hack a regulated DC power supply for the NXT, and have
more batteries on board.

--
Brian Davis