 Robotics / 27237
Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:46:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

At 12:40 PM 9/13/07, Claude Baumann wrote:

You know, what I like most with your project is that is such
a refreshing, new challenge, which - as you pointed out - surprisingly
few people though of yet. So, this might become a completely exciting
NXT robot section.

I'd love to see more people try this. It's a little bit risky (usually, when my
programming skills fail the robot doesn't end up stranding in the middle of a
lake... or worse, on the bottom), but it brings up a whole new range of problems
and availible solutions. For boats, I'm curious abou the little outrigger hulls
off the "Speedboat" set (I never got one of those, and the sets don't seem to be
around over here any more... I'd have to order through S@H), as well as the big
hull from the City Harbor set (again, I'd have to order it, and justify the cost
to my family). Does anyone have one of these large hulls? Is there enough space
internally to hold the NXT, or any way to secure it (anybody got pictures of the
inside)?

Perhaps one could somehow use the powerful all-terrain
racer motor with battery pack. I'm not sure this is still
available.

If you're talking about the Outdoor Challenger (8675)
( http://www.lego.com/eng/racers/products/radio.asp ) then,
yes, he has one of those...

See, I always *knew* Steve was snooping around my collection. Oh, wait... his
puts mine to shame :-). In any event, he's correct, I do have one of those, but
the voltage is significantly higher, and ironically I have no way to charge it
(European charger with European plugs, and I've not spent the $40-$60 to get a
converter). With the higher voltages, odd connectors, etc., I'm not sure this
would actually make it easier, although it might be useful depending on how much
"other stuff" I end up grafting on.

--
Brian Davis