 Robotics / 27231
Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, tonynaggs@gmail.com wrote:

I never thought of making a NXT boat.

I never seriously considered LEGO robotic boats... until I was walking through
the LEGO asile one day, while thinking about the Hitechnic compass sensor, and
my eyes glanced off the words "ship floats" on the LEGO box. Put those two
together, and it's a lot more interesting (to me)

...it's pretty brave to take it out somewhere.

The word "foolhardy" also might be fairly applied... but somehow, just making
one for the bathtub didn't excite me. Playing with it in a large swimming pool
would be better (I wish I could do that and get some underwater movies, but it's
turning cold around here), but not with curious kids around and waves. The two
biggest problems seem to be the chance of loosing all thrust (due to either dead
batteries or mechanical problems like fouling of the prop), or splashes - it's
remarkably stable, and shows no signs of flipping over, but one wave cresting
and breaking over it or even splashing it really well might kill it - no need to
posit actually flipping it.

I could get around that be simply plastic-wrapping the electronics (I think;
heat dissipation might become an issue), but the motors might be a little harder
to protect, and, well... it wouldn't look good :-) .

holidaying in a currently rainy Beijing

Rain is another factor. It's actually one of the reasons the first "sea trials"
were limited to just four or five (that and dinner waiting at home).

--
Brian Davis