 Robotics / 27233
Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel wrote:

Have you considered using some of those ZNAP flex
axles and a LEGO propellor?

Actually, I haven't thought of that - at least partially because I've never had
those axles. But I would think that a vertical axle driving meshed crown gears
to drive the horizontal propellor axle, or even an inclined axle that is turned
horizontal via a universal joint, would work as well. Honestly, the problem I
keep coming up to is the LEGO propellors. There's only one big one with an axle
(not pin) hole, and the blades are pitched much too low for water (not to
mention it's so dang big). The small three-bladed ones might work (these at
least have an axle/pin hole, so they can be arranged not to freely spin on the
axle), but when I saw the properly-designed propellors on the underwater motors,
I knew I had to try them first. Not being able to turn the motors on/off from
the NXT is a real drag, however, and as nice as those little motors are, I think
I'll have to move towards a solution like the one you are suggesting. I'm just
not sure of the thrust yet.

--
Brian Davis