 Robotics / 22464
  CD auto feeder project

I haven't yet got my RIS, but I've promised it as a gift for myself for my upcoming birthday. But I've already set about creating my first challange; I want to create a simple arm roboot that will act as an auto feeder to a CD drive. It should (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) You could consider using a suction cup with a Lego pneumatics system providing the vacuum. (I vaguely recall a project that made a Lego robot that could climb a sheer pane of glass using this kind of technique. I know Rob Stehlik built it - (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) Steve, I took a ride in the "internet way back machine" (google it) and found this: (URL) didn't know it was possible to create a vacume with the Lego pneumatic parts. Thanks I'll deleve a bit more down this path. (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) I always forget about the way-back machine. (...) Well, re-reading it, it's evident that he's using old pneumatic parts that you can't get anymore. However, his problem was to produce a really strong vacuum - enough to hold the whole weight of (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) Fortunately, the situation isn't quite so dire: (URL) actually quite a bit more available now than when I picked up much of my old pneumatic stuff a year or so ago. Mark (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

Steve, thanks for the pointer, I'll be spending some time going over Rob's window walker figuring out how he did things. (...) I'd be suprised if they were! Though I did find the perfect suction cup on-line: (URL) get more perfect then that. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

Thanks Mark! This is turning out to be easier then I thought - now if only I could remember where I hide my credit card! "Mark Riley" <markril@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Hx7x2F.p9u@lugnet.com... (...) found (...) (URL) > (...) pneumatic (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) >> suction and pushing the cylinder down again releases it. (...) Yes - the yellow ones on the left. The 'normal' use for those things is to pump air in the bottom tube to make the cylinder extend - or pump air in the top to make it contract. (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) Sorry about that. I moved my website about 8 months ago, and tried to let people know, but some links never get fixed. If any of you know a good way to gather emails for the people with broken links on their sites, let me know. New home page: (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: CD auto feeder project

(...) Don't those hard plastic tubes fit over the cylinder connectors? I know they can bind the flexible hoses, so a small "boot" to bridge the gap wouldn't be able to suck together very much. That would reduce the problem of length, at least. Andy (20 years ago, 6-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) (David Glynn) (...) (Steve Baker) It's not finished yet, but hope this helps: (URL) massivng@iol.it (20 years ago, 6-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) You should be able to do a Google search on your old URL. In fact, I seem to remember a facility where you have it search for "links to" a site. Look in the help section for advanced search. When you get to each site that links to you, you'll (...) (20 years ago, 6-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

Rob, Thanks for posting the new link to your website. I spent a bit of time going over the Window Walker making sense of the pneumatics and was about to reply and thanks you, when I went to browse the rest of you site. You site is a gold mine! (...) (20 years ago, 7-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) ...maybe - but you could do it with TWO RCX's! Remember, they can talk to each other via IR. The RCX has three motor ports and three sensor ports (although you only get two motors in the set)...I think that's plenty for this application. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 8-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: CD auto feeder project

One thread of this discussion went down the suction cup path for getting a CD off a stack. What of non-suction-cup alternatives that could be built from pure LEGO? Simply having a thin liftarm slide off the top one won't work because the CDs would (...) (20 years ago, 8-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: CD auto feeder project

Impressive! I would love to learn more about your robot. For example: Why does it place the CD on the stack on the right and then pick it up again and drop it on the stack? Russ -----Original Message----- From: news-gateway@lugnet.com (...) (20 years ago, 8-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) It goes down until stops, then goes up a bit to make the CD fall for gravity. It does not know the height of the stack, so goes down until "feels" to have reached the stack. There is a rotation sensor that detects when the arm stops, and a (...) (20 years ago, 8-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) Note you can also use the same effect to make an all-Lego suction pump (without the checkball valve). The trick is to cycle a piston and a standard valve together. Hook the central port on the valve to the airtank (or whatever else you want to (...) (20 years ago, 9-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CD auto feeder project

(...) Or multiplex bump sensors mechanically...use one touch sensor on a cam on an axle, normally pressed in and held centered with a rubber band. Any number of "inputs" can be hooked up perpendicular to the axle using an bumper connected to a push (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)