 Robotics / 22474
Re: CD auto feeder project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 22:55:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

You could consider using a suction cup with a Lego pneumatics system providing
the vacuum.

(I vaguely recall a project that made a Lego robot that could climb
a sheer pane of glass using this kind of technique.  I know Rob Stehlik built it - but
every web site I've found that talks about it refers me to a non-existant web page.

Sorry about that. I moved my website about 8 months ago, and tried to let people
know, but some links never get fixed. If any of you know a good way to gather
emails for the people with broken links on their sites, let me know.

New home page:
http://sparky.i989.net/rstehlik/index.html

Window walker:
http://sparky.i989.net/rstehlik/windowalker.html

Detailed explanation:
http://sparky.i989.net/rstehlik/windowalkerexp.html

Unless you are a purist, you really don't need the ultra rare Lego pneumatic
check valve block. My first rendition of the suction mechanism used a couple
check valves that I bought from an aquarium store. Works the same.

Well - someone here will know how it was done.)

That way, you'd only have to lower your arm down on top of the stack until a
touch sensor triggers - then turn on the suction - move it over the CD tray and
release the suction.   Reverse the operation to deposit the finished CD into
the output hopper.

This would be a good approach since it would completely avoid the risk of scratching
the side of the CD with the data on it.

I was in contact with a guy a few years ago that wanted to do the exact same
thing: build a Lego machine to load and unload his CD duplicator. It should be
relatively straightforward. I wouldn't mind doing some development work if you
are interested.

Rob