 Robotics / 22469
Re: CD auto feeder project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 02:04:27 GMT

Steve, thanks for the pointer, I'll be spending some time going over Rob's
window walker figuring out how he did things.

It looks like the suction cups are not Lego parts though.
I'd be suprised if they were! Though I did find the perfect suction cup
on-line:
http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20components/vacuum%20cups/cd_cups1.htm
Can't get more perfect then that.

If you take a large pneumatic cylinder and connect a hose to the bottom • fitting (say)
then pulling the actuator arm upwards creates a pretty strong suction and • pushing the
cylinder down again releases it.
Are you refering to the large pneumatic cylinder shown in this ebay auction?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19002&item=3191469136
&rd=1
In that case linking it or a pair up motor in the same way that you connect
the pumps I could create and store a vacume in the tanks, and then activate
a valve when ever a vacume is needed - that would be two motors and one
outputs used up (the motor for creating the vacume does not ned to be
controled by the RCX, am I right? I'm thinking something along the lines of
Ralph Hempel's pressure switch).

If you keep the hoses short, that might be enough to lift a CD and hold • onto it for
a few seconds (that's all you're gonna need to swing it over the drive
tray).
I think the pressure switch (and it's motor) would need to be placed at the
opposite end of the arm form the suction cup, this would prevent too much
weight been out at the end of the arm which is about 12"/30cm long (in my
mind). It would also serve as a counter weight then. This means that the
lenght of the hose would be that plus some more, possible as long as
24"/60cm - I don't think this is short.

I see I have a busy summer ahead of me!
Thanks
David Glynn