 Robotics / 22480
Re: CD auto feeder project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 23:13:06 GMT

Rob,
Thanks for posting the new link to your website. I spent a bit of time going
over the Window Walker making sense of the pneumatics and was about to reply
and thanks you, when I went to browse the rest of you site.
You site is a gold mine! especially for my application the Cylindrical Robot
Arm, SCARA, eXpedite, Linear Sorter and Colour Sorter all have something for
me to draw upon for inspiration. Though I have to admit I don't know where
to start, though buying my first RCX would be a good place I suppose ;-)
soon though.

What I'd like to replicate is this:
http://www.avdeals.ca/primera/largeimages/ComposerPro.jpg ignore the printer
in the background, and imagine two additional input/output stacks. This
would mean that there would be 6 locations where the robot would be loading
and unloading from. The stacks on the right would be the input/output stacks
for the CD drive on the right and the same for the left.
This might of course be pie in the sky and beyond the limits of the RCX - I
figure I need two motors (and a third for the pneumatics), two touch
sensors - one on the bumper style sucker head so as not to mash the CD down
too far (do I need another so that I don't raise it too far?) and the second
at some point in the rotation to calibrate the arm and finally a rotation
sensor so that it can count from one stack to the next. There is also the
need to close the CD drive once the disc has been loaded, this can either be
done through pressing the switch on the front, or be hacking into this micro
switch and just having to close this circuit briefly. I could quite possible
bit missing out on allot of things!
Massimiliano way of approaching this is another interesting way, but I
haven't though that one through, thanks Massimiliano for posting the video
of it working - very impressive. I look forward to seeing more pictures and
hearing how it works.

Rob, I'd be delight to listen to any advice you have. It' been quite a while
since I played on the floor with Lego and I'm looking forward to doing so
again.