 Robotics / 22486
Re: CD auto feeder project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 12:29:02 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:

However, if you left the top hole open to the air and connected
a short hose from the bottom to a suction cup - then pulling up
on the cylinder would "really suck"  :-)

   Note you can also use the same effect to make an all-Lego suction pump
(without the checkball valve). The trick is to cycle a piston and a standard
valve together. Hook the central port on the valve to the airtank (or whatever
else you want to suck the air out of), and the top & bottom ports to a standard
piston (I used the large one). As the piston is pulled up (extended), have the
valve connect the bottom piston port to the air tank... as the piston contracts,
the valve should flip to connect the top piston port to the air tank. I
prototyped this yesterday, and the only tough parts where (a) properly
synchronizing the valve and piston motion (I threw the valve with a axle sliding
on an arm attatched to a main crankshaft axle, offset 90° from the cams running
the piston, (b) it takes a lot of torque, the way I rigged it.
   I tested it on a glass of water - bad idea, as it worked, and the nearly
empty airtank sucked water right through the valve body.

--
Brian Davis