 Robotics / 18964
  Re: RCX simulator ?

thanks Ralf, this may be a very good starting point ;-) I'm considering to create a RCX simulator (if there isn't any), but cann't oversee how much work it is .... cheers, Stef Mientki (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

It can be more work than you think. I created Simlink ((URL) for leJOS, and having a codebase to use was essential. If you choose to show robot actions as well as what the RCX displays, and motor state and such, I can help you out. There are several (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

hi Andy, Andy Gombos wrote: > It can be more work than you think. I created Simlink > ((URL) for leJOS, looks impressive! I'm thinking about a very look-alike simulator, but then based on the firmware 2.0, so it can run NQC programs. and having a (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) Great! You will have to implement all the firmware calls though, or at least emulate thier function (it has to exist, though not necissarily do something) (...) With leJOS, I had a set of source files that described all the methods and fields, (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: RCX simulator ?

Wow - can you imagine if the simulator could be hooked up with MLCad and LDraw? Then you could build a robot with a complex structure, program it, and have it run around a virtual world, all rendered with POV-Ray! Man, who need reality after that? (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) good idea, I've to search more, but here is one (URL) What language are you planning on using? Delphi, but the PIC simulator I'm building can accept "devices" (the RCX is just a device) in DLLs, so in fact it could be written in any language. (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: RCX simulator ?

(...) Actually, not really - if it is a true simulator, then all that will be needed is a ROM dump of the RCX. Then all that is required is a emulator with the Hitachi chip, you'd be using the LEGO codebase itself. Making it much more reliable too! (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) That would be greee...eeeat indeed, But I was thinking of something less complicated ;-) Stef Mientki (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) Woaaahhhh there - just one moment - that's a *REALLY* big step from where we are. OK - so I buy the idea of an RCX simulator. * You could write one that emulated the RCX at the Lego Byte-Code level. That's really easy - I could do it in a (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

Since when can Pov ray render an image of any useful size in realtime, or something approaching realtime? I haven't tested on my XP1600+, but my Duron 800 took a few seconds to render a 640 x 480 image - the minimum I consider useful for determining (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

Here are Kekoa Proudfoot's instructions on how to get a ROM image: (URL) some explanations/descriptions of various stuff (i don't understand it) can be found on Kekoa's RCX Internals page: (URL) (click on "rom image") (...) (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) Yes - it's using ray-traced rendering to get good realism. However, these days you could do pictrures that are nearly as good with fancy OpenGL rendering in realtime. A modern 3D graphics card can easily draw at least a hundred thousand (...) (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

hi Steve, (...) I expect that it would cost me at least a few weeks of my spare time, so if you've a few hours of spare time, ... I would be much obliged ;-) cheers, Stef Mientki (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) OK - I'll do it if nobody else has - but I kinda thought it had already been done. There are a few things I need: 1) The format of the byte-code files that NQC and the Lego tools use to save byte-code in. Are they the same - or are there two (...) (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) OK - I just did some searching and it looks like David Baum (author of NQC amongst other things) has already done this: (URL) I don't think I'll be taking the time to duplicate his efforts! According to his notes, David hasn't released a new (...) (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) A few hours + a few evenings = 2 hours + 2 * 4 hours = 10 hours. Total code size (including documentation) = 74,000 characters. That's an average keystrokes/minute of (74,000 / (10*60))= 123 keystrokes/minute. I think that's very fast, ..... (...) (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) You are making the serious mistake of equating number of characters in the file with number of keystrokes taken to create it. The project I'm doing at work is up to about 60Mb of source code. Does that mean I've typed 60 million keystrokes in (...) (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) I stopped working on it because there wasn't much demand. I never intended to write a full-blown simulation environment. I hoped other people would write appropriate front ends (GUIs that might let you interact with the RCX's sensors, or (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

Dave Baum wrote: > I hoped other (...) That's clearly the next step - the question is - does anyone want it badly enough to do it? Personally, I'd rather just run my programs on the real RCX. It seems to me that RCX programs are generally simple (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

hi Dave, (...) I see your simulator every half year, searching the web for one. But maybe I'm very stupid, everytime I download the sources (all there is) and then I don't know what to do with them (my computer doesn't know either). Because I've a (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

Dave wrote it in Java, so youll need the Java Runtime Envrionment. You can find it at (URL) installing that, you need to unzip everything in the zip file from Dave to one folder. After that, I'm not sure how to proceed. (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) You should be able to compile and run the files on a Windows computer. Even though Micrsoft would like to kill Java, Sun keeps shipping Windows tools and runtime environments for Windows. I wrote the simulator in Java specifically so it (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) As someone who uses an operating system that has 80% of the OpenSource developers, I think I can explain how you can get this software to work even on a system with hopelessly inadequate OpenSource support. :-) ...If you use the (free!) Cygwin (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) I cann't disagree with you, ... but I live in an surrounding where even 99% is using this M$-OS. And I'm just too simple to get Linux working ;-( I'm not a software programmer, and learning one computer language was difficult enough for me. (...) (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

Hi all! (...) We don't need to simulate all of the mechanics because we've got the real thing. What about remote controlling the complete robot with the brain inside your PC? In the case of simulation we could degrade the RCX to a stupid IO device. (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)