 Robotics / 18175
RE: intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:29:21 GMT

Dean Hystad wrote:

Forth is an amazing language.  It's really small and runs on everthing.
When I was first learning Forth I was confused by all the different
dialects.  Then I found out they were all the same language, but had been
modified by the programmer to better fit the application domain.  A computer
language that I could modify myself!!!  I was really hooked (I fell in love
with LISP for the same reason).  But I don't think Forth is right for
everyone.  The programs can be hard to read.  You kind of have to pretend
you are the computer and execute them in your head.  Oh, did I forget to
mention that it is a stack based language and everything looks like it's in
RPN (Reverse Polish Notation).  If you like HP calculators you may like Forth.

Dean, all of these points are valid. I first learned to program on my HP-41CV
calculator, which is a wierd mix of Forth and Assembler.

In the end, the deep knowledge of what's happening at the chip level makes
me a much better and versatile programmer today - but Forth is not for
everyone.

Come to think of it, programming is not for everyone...

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers, Ralph