 Robotics / 18176
Re: Compass or Gyro
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:22:05 GMT

Derek,

I think the sensor you need really depends on the application.  I believe a
compass would be better for absolute positioning, and a gyro would be better
for relative positioning.  I don't really know a lot about gyro's, but I
think that will tell you how much you've turned, but it won't tell you where
you are facing.

From what you suggested, it sounds like you need a compass.

Steve

In lugnet.robotics, Derek Riley writes:
I am building a six legged robot to emulate an ant, and I need a good way to
tell what direction it is facing.  I am using a Handy Board with an
extension board, and I don't want to spend too much.  I have looked at
compasses and gyros, but I am not sure what will work best for me.  Thanks
--Derek