 Robotics / 18145
Re: intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:20:11 GMT

It's been quite a while since I've posted (dagnabbit, it's been too long
since I've built any robots), but I tackled the same issues in my earlier
programming days.

I tackled JavaScript and NQC at the same time. I found that they were very
complementary; understanding the object-oriented language and syntax [insert
appropriate feelings about semicolons here] of JavaScript made NQC very
easy. If you want to go that route (which may be easier than following a C
track, start with the lessons at www.webmonkey.com).

Note also that the in-the-box software from Lego, although a bit clunky, is
quite flexible enough for many, many robotics projects, and I've heard it's
even better in the 2.0 version. :: ducks and covers ::

I absolutely agree with the point that NQC is the most widely supported
language for the RCX in this mailing list/newsgroup, and you'll find plenty
of rapid, friendly, and skilled debugging help with it.

Hope that helps.

Interestingly, my JavaScript and NQC self-study paid off in a big way in the
long run. I went from being a Web designer to tackling heavy, cross-platform
JavaScripting, and some ASP and JSP. That niche seems to have saved my
career when my old company mandated layoffs (it is *not* a good time to be
an unemployed medium-level Web developer): I start a new job with Kronos in
Chelmsford, Ma., tomorrow - before I even had a chance to apply for
unemployment!

--Doug Wilcox

Find out more about our Mexico 2001 Missions Trip at
http://mexico.wilcoxfamily.net/ Proceeds from books,
videos, and more from Amazon.com ordered via
http://books.wilcoxfamily.net/ or http://www.startrekmovie.com/
are now going to support the Children's Home project
in Constitución, Chihuahua, México.

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John
8:32.)
"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ.

Check out the Wilcox family at http://www.wilcoxfamily.net/

Find out what's cooking with Lego MindStorms at the Wilcox house at
http://robots.wilcoxfamily.net/

See how to build your own light saber at http://saber.wilcoxfamily.net/

30 George Street
Brockton, MA 02302-3635
508-584-6853 phone
508-284-4408 cell
http://www.wilcoxfamily.net
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783
AIM WebMeister Doug
Y! WebMeisterDoug
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class