 Robotics / 18141
RE: intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:31:42 GMT

So now I am considering purchasing either "Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to
LEGO Mindstorms" to learn NQC or "Core LEGO MINDSTORMS Programming: Unleash
the Power of the Java Platform" by Brian Bagnall to learn JAVA.   I just
ran a quick search and found this interesting article called
"Ada/Mindstorms 3.0: A Computational Environment for  Introductory Robotics
and Programming" (found at
http://www.faginfamily.net/barry/Papers/IEEERA.htm).  In this article the
author advises that NQC is difficult for the novice programmer to learn and
use.

Which is funny, because I read the webpage and it turns out you need
to download 23MB of stuff and it ends up installing NQC on your system...

So now I am concerned about going the NQC route.  Maybe I should try this
Ada/Mindstorms software.  Any thoughts?  Also what is the relationship
between RcxCC and NQC? Thanks.

If you're a beginning programmer, I'd go with NQC for the simple reason
that there are lots of people on Lugnet to turn to for help. I'd also buy
Dave's "Definitive Guide" because he has some examples of Lego code right
next to the equivalent NQC. I just re-read that book the other night :-)

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try my pbForth language.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com