 Robotics / 18153
Re: intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:38:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Ralph Hempel wrote:

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try my pbForth language.

Forth isn't by any stretch of the imagination a good language to
learn as your *first* language - although it *is* pretty cool for
writing embedded system software on teeny-tiny processors once you
grok the whole programming thing.

Forth was my second language (after Basic). The hours I spent at user group
lectures sweating the fine points of stack management and memory allocation
were a fabulous preparation for programming. If you survive the experience,
that is. You have to keep a lot straight in your head and learn to answer
the "why did that just happen?"

I'm pleased to deal with it from time to time as Postscript and Open
Firmware. Why Wired this month says "nobody uses it and there are no up to
date compilers" (like PL/I) is just another reminder why I don't read Wired.

-Erik