 Robotics / 18152
Re: intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:18:43 GMT

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Steve Baker wrote:

The problem with learning on an embedded system is not *what* you have to
learn - its *how* you have to learn it.

If you make any of a dozen basic programming mistakes on an RCX, what's
going to happen?   Well, maybe a motor will turn on when it should have
turned off - maybe the RCX just sits there and nothing happens...now what?

You change a bit, ask questions, re-write the code to solve the problem
differently. Then go back and figure out what conceptual mistake was made
the first time through.

This is EXACTLY the same process you go through on a PC.

How does someone with a simple misunderstanding *ever* figure out what they
did wrong?

By trying a different tack.

At least on a 'normal' computer, you have a debugger - you can insert
print statements...it's a *LOT* easier to find your silly initial mistakes.

And embedded systems have them also, or you can write them.

But the primary reason I still disagree with you is that the Brick has so
few I/O that it simply isn't that complicated. I've taught 12 year olds in
a couple of owers how to use NCQ and get a bot rolling and reading a bump
sensor. They have more problems getting the driver registered in Windows
than understanding how to turn a motor on or read a switch. Now issues
related to higher level behaviour still stand; irrespective of the
platform.

              When I die, I would like to be born again as me.

                                            Hugh Hefner
     ravage@ssz.com                                         www.ssz.com
     jchoate@open-forge.org                          www.open-forge.org