 Robotics / 18148
Re: intro and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:15:38 GMT

In article <3.0.6.32.20020616134215.007b8990@pop6.sympatico.ca>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Laura O'Grady) wrote:

So now I am considering purchasing either "Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to
LEGO Mindstorms" to learn NQC or "Core LEGO MINDSTORMS Programming: Unleash
the Power of the Java Platform" by Brian Bagnall to learn JAVA.   I just
ran a quick search and found this interesting article called
"Ada/Mindstorms 3.0: A Computational Environment for  Introductory Robotics
and Programming" (found at
http://www.faginfamily.net/barry/Papers/IEEERA.htm).  In this article the
author advises that NQC is difficult for the novice programmer to learn and
use.

So now I am concerned about going the NQC route.  Maybe I should try this
Ada/Mindstorms software.  Any thoughts?  Also what is the relationship
between RcxCC and NQC? Thanks.

The paper you refer to cites two basic reasons why he considers NQC
difficult for novices: poor error messages and a command line interface.

The first criticism is true, and probably not going to be remedied
anytime soon.  Most people get the hang of it soon enough and learn what
to look for when the compiler yells "syntax error".  To be honest, the
couple of times that I have run NQC sessions for kids I have been
surprised at how fast they pick it up.

The second criticism isn't true for Windows or Macintosh.  Other people
have stepped up and provided GUIs for NQC on those platforms.  The first
one was RcxCC, which was later renamed to BricxCC.  It is the most
popular GUI for NQC, and the one I suggest that people start with.

Dave

p.s.  And of course buy my book :)