 Robotics / 17831
  New MOC: RoboArm I

Hello all, I've posted pictures of my newest robotic creation, RoboArm I. (URL) actually happend by accident, I was tryin to find the simplest method to drive a turntable using 2 micro motors. I found a solution I was happy with using only a few (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build) !

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

That is a very impressive piece of engineering. I find it hard to comment on a particular part. It is all very well done. I hope you took a little video of it in action before it is dismantled. What are your hopes for the sequel? -- Bob Fay THE SHOP (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) Its already gone, RoboArm II is being worked on. I didnt get video of this one but I certainly will of the next. Things I'm changing for the second, I'd really like to remove all of the pnuematics, I'm not a big fan of it yet, and I think I (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

OH SNAP!! That's really cool! And then Robo Arm 2!!! Dang it looks complicated, can't wait to shake it's hand in person. ;) Oh man, look at all those cool components! Drool! Legomaster (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

I am not a big fan of Lego pneumatics either, but they are so light weight and a perfect solution in your application. The micromotors have so little power, that you would have to gear them down to get any holding power for your grippers. Then (...) (22 years ago, 9-May-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) Thats the exact problem I'm having. I would like to have 1 RCX be able to control the direction of 2 motors. So what I trying to make is a 4 button controller using 3 touch sensors. For instance, I want to have 1 RCX control the opening and (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

I don't know of any other source for the flex axle. I found that they did not turn smoothly. Tend to loft. Maybe they can be contained at several points to stop the whipping action. Micromotors seem to work well in pairs, I guess they unlock each (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) You should be able to get 3 sensors to control 3 motors like this: Sensor A not pushed = forward Sensor A pushed = reverse Sensor B pushed and not C = Motor 1 Sensor C pushed and not B = Motor 2 Sensor B and C pushed = Motor 3 -Kyle (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

By making a good programming you can control lots of functions with one touch sensor, wich would be complicated but it's possible. I have tried using two touch sensors to control motors, let's say you press the sensor once for motor A, twice for B, (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

wow, you guys are smart! I need to play with programming agian, I forgot all this stuff. Hey Brian I have two flex axles if you want to borrow them, if that's the route you end up taking. Eric (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) I agree with your opinions of the flex axles, they dont turn smoothly, and if there is any slack the flex axles sometimes bend in on themselves before turning the axle. I found the best way to use them is to keep the amount of bend to a minium (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) I've used a collection of four Scouts driven by IR commands from an RCX to drive a total of eleven motors. Just program the scouts to read simple 1-byte messages sent from the RCX - use the top two bits to select which Scout you are talking (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) Yes - I agree. I'd avoid using micromotors anyway because of their tendancy to lock up when you put any kind of strain on them. Micromotors are good for little decorative features or small one-time operations that don't need much power. So (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) Well, with three touch sensors, you can have (at best) only 8 possibilities at any instant - but with even only one touch sensor, you can input any conceivable command if you have enough time. (Imagine if you entered your commands in morse (...) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) Yes - you need to thread them though some technic beams along the way. ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com> URLs : (8 URLs) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Scout and Cybermaster (WAS: Re: New MOC: RoboArm I

(...) This is a bit of a tangent, but... How much memory does the Scout have? I've heard 32K RAM for the RCX but have never heard a number for the Scout. I picked up several Robotic Discovery Sets insanely cheaply about 18 months ago and use them (...) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  software-controlled motors

Steve Baker writes: > I've used a collection of four Scouts driven by IR commands from an RCX > to drive a total of eleven motors. Just program the scouts to read simple > 1-byte messages sent from the RCX - use the top two bits to select which > (...) (22 years ago, 13-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: software-controlled motors

(...) What I'd like to see would be a Lego computer that was as flexible, expandable and reconfigurable as the mechanical parts of the Lego system. I'd like to think in terms of using something like an I2C bus between 'modules' - where a module (...) (22 years ago, 13-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: software-controlled motors

This modular RCX ideia is perfect, very LEGOish in did :) (...) <OFF-TOPIC> IMHO, TLC isn't thinking "LEGO" anymore... It lost the main original ideia that made LEGO look so logic, modular and limitless (and fun). The ideia behind the newer sets (or (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.robotics)