 Robotics / 17838
Re: New MOC: RoboArm I
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 21:52:25 GMT

I am not a big fan of Lego pneumatics either, but they are so light weight
and a perfect solution in your application. The micromotors have so little
power, that you would have to gear them down to get any holding power for
your grippers. Then opening and closing would be very slow and boring.
You could try adapting a directional transmission. This will give you two
functions with one motor. This works, but sometimes limits your flexibility
for each function.
I like the RCX's for control, but that would limit you to 6 functions with
two bricks. The battery box can still run the compressor if you stay with
the pneumatics.  That arm would be great fun to program.  I can see a Vision
Command Camera as an eye seeking its prey, moving in with a light sensor to
grab it.
Good luck with your on-going improvements. I am looking forward to the new
generation.

--
Bob Fay

THE SHOP
http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay

"Brian Sadowski" <twodijits@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Things I'm changing for the second, I'd really like to remove all of the
pnuematics, I'm not a big fan of it yet, and I think I could do better • using
another means. There was a little wobble with the base of the arm so I • plan
on redoing all of that and I also want to work on removeing some of the • bend
the arm has.

I wanted to find a better means of controlling the thing, it has a lot of
motors so even a Control Center couldn't handle it.  Anyone have any • ideas?

-Brian