 Robotics / 17839
Re: New MOC: RoboArm I
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 22:15:25 GMT

Brian Sadowski wrote:

I wanted to find a better means of controlling the thing, it has a lot of
motors so even a Control Center couldn't handle it.  Anyone have any ideas?

I've used a collection of four Scouts driven by IR commands from an RCX
to drive a total of eleven motors.  Just program the scouts to read simple
1-byte messages sent from the RCX - use the top two bits to select which
Scout you are talking to, the next bit to select which motor you want
to drive and three remaining bits to select on/off fwd/reverse and drive/float.

The program to decode this is small enough to fit into a scout's megre
memory - and all the intelligence can then go into the RCX.

My implementation also allowed the RCX to read back sensors from the
Scouts - but you probably won't need that.

Once you have all that, you can probably use the RCX's sensors to rig
up a remote controller for your arm.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net