 Robotics / 17844
Re: New MOC: RoboArm I
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 03:02:10 GMT

Brian Sadowski wrote:

Once you have all that, you can probably use the RCX's sensors to rig
up a remote controller for your arm.

Thats the exact problem I'm having. I would like to have 1 RCX be able to
control the direction of 2 motors. So what I trying to make is a 4 button
controller using 3 touch sensors.

Well, with three touch sensors, you can have (at best) only 8 possibilities
at any instant - but with even only one touch sensor, you can input any
conceivable command if you have enough time. (Imagine if you entered your
commands in morse code for example!)

More simply though you can have one command tell the system which motor
to move and a subsequent command to tell it how to move that motor.

My last complicated contraption was controlled with two rotation sensors.
One was attached to a knob that could point in one of eight directions to
select which motor to drive, and the second would be rotated left or right
to control direction and power level.

That way I could control both speed and direction of eight motors
using only TWO RCX inputs.  It's not hard to imagine doing a lot more
with just those two inputs.

It is even theoritcally (my spelling stinks) possible to use 3 touch sensors
and control both forward and reverse of 3 motors.

Like this:
Given Touch sensors A, B, and C
and Motor outputs 1, 2 and 3

Depressed Switches