 Robotics / 14311
  Re: Walkers

(...) What you really want to ask here is "Has anyone built a 2-legged walker with balance?". I would say it is unlikely that one has been built, but certainly not impossible. For a balancing mechanism you need position sensing, which could be done (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

(...) I tried that in my attempts to build a two wheeled robot (as in a bicycle)...but the problem with rotation sensors (as has been discussed *extensively* before) is that it drops or gains counts sometimes when it's being rotated slowly. That (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

(...) My post was to clarify the walker question, the suggestion of using the position sensor was just that. (...) The walker problem is not trivial, as you've discovered. (...) That is a correct observation, but no one wants a walker that can't (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

Thanks for the feedback people. I asked the question because I have been working on a walker for around 6 weeks, and was getting a bit discouraged. I have since had some success on the weekend. My walker will now go through it's complete walking (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

I don't know much about mechanics or walkers, but what about a gyro device that's more stable than a rotational sensor. Surely someone out there would know how to use one of these to "balance" a walker. Of course this means powering the gyro to spin (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

(...) The possibilities are endless. I would start with the sensor and move on from there. The stability and accuracy (precision) requirements will depend heavily on the robot configuration. It does not need to have pointed feet like a ballerina (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  RIS 2.0 status

Can anyone comment here on the status of the so-called 2.0 system. Can they be purchased yet? If so, where? TIA Harley Myler (URL) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

I don't think so, I called LEGO and asked them some weeks ago, they told me it woulden't be available until fall!! Christian (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

But how can that be? It says on their RCX 2 SDK page that all these people can choose to get the RIS 2.0, to be released in Spring 2001. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) Hmmm... product delay? I wonder if they're not working on some new additions to the set. Kevin (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) Yeah, maybe this version will come with the voice-activated self-aware, self-programmable lego bots who will not only make my coffee to perfection each morning but serve it to me and tell me I'm a good robot-master! 8) brian (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) Sorry, that's a 2.5 requirement. --- J Austin David austindavid.com austin@gtf.org "Only two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) I wonder if that earlier date is correct for some parts of the world. We've seen the box artwork for the Japanese version of RIS 2.0 havn't we? Personally, I find it hard to get all *that* excited about it. The photos of the parts lists for (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) If not, does anybody know if preorders are being taken anywhere? :) I've been meaning to get to the Mall of America shop & ask them point-blank in person, but time has been short lately... Greg Betzel (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

Excellent idea ! Has anyone tried to add an I2C interface to a u-scout ? My u-Scout just sits on the shelf... Hmmm. I'd be wiling to sacrifice it in the name of science if some one could give me some pointers : ) -Xanthra47 "Steve Baker" (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

Has anyone considered adapting one of the tiny gyros used to stabalize remote control helicoptors ? These work by modifying the pulse stream that controls a standard R/C servo. - pete. (...) -- Pete Sevcik sevcik@flash.net Techno-stuff Robotics (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

I was in the Lego store on Michigan Av. Chicago and the guy told me to expect RIS 2.0 in March, which would still make it a Spring release. They didn't have any 1.5 kits, which have been recalled as most people know. (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) *RECALLED* !!! Why? (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) Having seen other posts on the scarcity of the 1.5 kit, I thought I read that the 1.5 kits were being taken back by Lego to be re-used for the 2.0 kit. As others have said, not much of an update between 1.5 and 2.0 - mainly the software. Is (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

Local Toys-R-Us has 1.5s on the shelf in my area. -- Richard Clemens clemens@wvwc.edu (23 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

(...) I can't see this making much sense. It would be soooo much cheaper for TLC to send stickers out to the stores to be applied to the 1.5 boxes. These stickers could direct customers to Lego Customer Service to obtain a free replacement CD if the (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Walkers

(...) That's an interesting suggestion. One should point out (for those who have not played with these devices) that the Gyro itself doesn't mechanically stabilise the helicopter. The Gyro is hooked up to some kind of a rotation sensor that detects (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

Just rang S@H and they have a release date of early March - no specific date, with more information to follow soon. I can't get a 1.5 version anywhere where I live, or even in the Lego store in Chicago while I was there visiting... Still, March is (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

I'm not certain. The LEGO store in Chicago told me spring. However I called up LEGO customer service yesterday, and they told me that RIS 2.0 would be released in August. Who to trust? -Tim (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 2.0 status

I've been looking for references to what kind of hardware is in the Microsout, but I haven't had any luck. Anyone have links or know the specs ? Thanks, -Xanthra47 "Xanthra47" <jmantor@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:G8rxCI.Iz0@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  2.0 RIS Update

Friends, I just called the Lego Imagination Center at the Downtown Disney Marketplace in Lake Buena Vista and they claim to be getting RIS 1.5 sets in tomorrow. They said that they would not have the 2.0 until July. Harley Myler (URL) MIME (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 2.0 RIS Update

(...) I just visited the Lego Store in Chicago where an employee confirmed that RIS 2.0 will be available by the end of next month (march). brian (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 2.0 RIS Update

Hi, I just call Lego Customer Service from France. I asked about RIS 2.0. The sympathic girl answered me that Lego has changed his mind about RIS 2.0. For the moment no production is planned before at least one year ! Marc Klein A Mindstorms fan. (23 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 2.0 RIS Update

(...) Did you ask whether they would be continuing to make 1.5's ? I don't think many people would be all that concerned at a delay for 2.0 - but if there are no 1.5's around for all that time, it'll put a severe kink in our ability to keep the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 2.0 RIS Update

Hi I just called Lego Customer Service. The guy confirmed the information about the delay for version 2.0. But until 2.0 will be released, the version 1.5 will continue to be produced. He talked about new functionnalities of the RCX brick (but he (...) (23 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics)