 Robotics / 13742
  proximity detection with laser?

The following idea just came into my mind. Will it work? Put a video camera and a laser projector on the mobile robot. The laser projector beams out a pattern of light. The camera picks up the pattern, then we deduce the robot's proximity by (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: proximity detection with laser?

(...) One of the things I'm intending to do is to put two light sources in the robot and measure the distance between the (if available) two reflection "points" (or er... auras) It should work better with laser source, of course. But then, using (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: proximity detection with laser?

(...) In my current project, I mount a wireless camera on top of the mobile robot, to look for barcode tags as the landmarks. The idea is: In the computer it stores a topological map of the locations of each barcode tags. A typical session: I: (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: proximity detection with laser?

(...) Just got the VC (couldn't wait for the RIS) :) It works great on my laptop, but on my main PC (with an ATI All-in-Wonder 128) the Lego Cam and the Vision Command software doesn't work because I think it tries to work with the first registered (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  CM-RCX comm

hi marco! so have you already managed to get a cm-rcx comm? or are you still waiting for an rcx? i'm highly interested in any details on this subject, cause i'm planning something similiar (using cm for it's radio link and rcx for it's extended (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

Hiya :) Well, I'm still waiting for the RCX... it's supposed to arrive in 4 weeks :/ Anyway, these are the things I got so far: 1) It's possible to use the OUTport->INport direct electrical connection *IF* one uses the Off() and Float() commands to (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

"Marco C." <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:3.0.6.32.200101...gtlinux... (...) I just thought of something... If we're to use a wire connected from a motor port on one brick, connected to a sensor on another brick, that allows (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

Some more clarifications: (...) The LightSensor can be used as a IN *and* OUT vll sensor, only the IN port's dedicated to bidirectional comms. (...) Lego Light or the Fiber optic light unit's LED (...) I meant IN port. (...) I keep making this (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) Well, with two RCX's it should work, but then, between RCX's there's the IR port comms. The CM doesn't work with active sensors, so, this wouldn't work from the CyberMaster side. That's MHO. (...) This is what it's used to turn the LightSensor (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) Yes, the Off() does a shortcircuit simulating a ON state from a TouchSensor point of view. The Float() does the oposite, getting a OFF state this way. (...) I'm using NQC, because all this has to run on a CyberMaster, with it's fixed standard (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) errr... well, I really don't know. I (unfortunatly) don't own neither a MicroScout nor a CodePilot so I too have some question about the real behavior of these sets when receiving VLL codes. (but I keep watching eBay because I'm always (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

"What's new": 1) I'm still waiting for my RIS 1.0 (hopefully +2 weeks) + Update to 1.5 so, everything I do still uses the Out<->In of a CyberMaster, comunicating with itself (the poor thing). 2) I ordered also a Dark Side MicroScout, for VLL output (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) Ok, one of many possible examples (we're talking about Lego, where your imagination is your limit... err... well, almost ;) I could use an input port of a RCX as a 4th motor controller, using VLL through the LED of a LightSensor connected to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

Status Report: 1) Ok, just got my RIS 1.0 set (AT LAST! ;) 2) My first tests with the two pBricks (CyberMaster and RCX) prove that it's possible to communicate using a (ten times) slower version of VLL protocol (I call it SlowVLL for short). *It (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) Wooaahhh! That can't be true. Both machines are running some kind of (hopefully) crystal oscillator to generate the clock that drives the Timer() and Wait() commands. No two cystal oscillators generate the *exact* same timing - so your two (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) That's exactly what my common sense made me believe. But various tests I did, using a dump of a Datalog with the timmings measured by the RCX, proved me wrong. Every Wait(10) was correctly measured as a Timer(3)==1, and every Wait(50) as a (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) make (...) Would make (...) used (...) Yes of course I will :) Because I'm still in the early stages of this, I decided to use all my small spare time to this project, and only in the end, after having my mcVLLlib.ncq the way I want it, I'll (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) oops, it's the other way around: Wait(20)/Wait(10) combinations for ZERO and Wait(10)/Wait(20) for ONE. mc. (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm

(...) Well, yes - but then crystal oscillators are quite accurate (but crucially, not 100% accurate). You might have to run as long as one or two MILLION attempts before you see an error - but you *will* see an error if you do it for long enough. If (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: CM-RCX comm (Anyone using Scout->MicroScout/CodePilot ?)

(...) Yes, I understand. Lego created VLL for barcode reading (CodePilot, and then MicroScout). Barcode reading is error prone, so are other forms of serial communication. Through the use of the VLL Checksum bits and timeouts, one can invalidate bad (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)