 Robotics / 13517
Re: vision command idea...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:23:01 GMT

Another problem with all wheel steering is the problem of "switch over."
Honda had a prototype of an all wheel steering car which used the mechanism
of turning the wheels in opposite directions at slow speeds for improved
turning radius and turning the wheels in the same direction at high speeds
for improved performance.  The problem arose when the car was at the "switch
over" point.  Which way should the wheels turn?  What happens when the
driver turns while accelerating?  It turns out to be non trivial and Honda
abandoned the experiment.

For our purposes, this may not matter.  However, couldn't the rear
wheels be steered with a reciprocator?  So as the steering wheel
turns to the right, the rear wheels start turning right, then turn
back to the left?  So at, say 1/4 turn, the rear wheels are turned
t the right, at 1/2 are back even (straight), and at 3/4 or better
are turning left?

This would have the overall effect of letting the car "slide" when
the wheel is turned only a little, but it would turn pretty sharp at
higher angles.

At faster speeds (highway) we tend to only use the wheel a little
bit (lane changes), and at very low speeds quote a bit (parking,
dodging pedestrians).  Maybe I'll retrofit the supercar ...
---
    J Austin David austindavid.com austin@gtf.org