 Robotics / 13473
Re: vision command idea...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:59:20 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> writes:

Throughout the years I have made several drive/steer axle
mechanisms with varying degrees of success, the most recent of
which incorporated independent suspension and *nearly* actually
worked. One of these days I'll do something proper with this and
document it... the only trouble is the strain exploring such
mechanisms puts on your sanity.

Heh!

I've come to the conclusion that while it is interesting to tinker
with suspensions, it is better to use the space in the models for
other things.  After all, the suspension one can make in a LEGO model
is nowhere near realistic in it's operation/handeling, nor in
size/footprint.  You'll usually end up using a lot of the space in the
chassis for the suspension elements.  And if you go for a soft
suspension, the model will sag when put on a surface.  If you go for a
hard one, it will need to be pushed downward to operate.  Now, I don't
drive cars a lot, but I figure both are pretty unrealistic.

I still seem to think about LEGO suspensions a lot, though, and I
still have a couple of unfinished projects.  There must be something
magical about it...

Fredrik