 Pirates / 625
Re: A Pyrate's Life
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:46:42 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Dan Jezek writes:

Close to $200 for a mint BSB without a box.  IMHO, the BSB is the best ship in
the pirate line, much more realistic than the SES and has a better color
scheme.  After building a large detailed ship of my own, the BSB did't look as
great any more :-)

Shhhhhh, I'm currently very pleased with my BSB.  With nothing but RBR as my
previous large ships, you'll understand.  I think the general but not universal
opinion is that edge goes to the BSB over the SES as best ship.

My only gripe with the pirate theme is there are too many specialized pieces
left over after building a large-scaled creation using only pieces from ALL of
the pirate sets.  That is, you can never concentrate all pieces in one
creation.
While building a large ship, there are always a lot of BURPs, palms,
baseplates, CRAPPs, bushes and wooden walls left over and when building a
fortress on land, there always seem to be a lot of hulls, masts, boats, sails
and rigging left over :-)  This might not be a bad thing but I like castle
much better in this aspect.  That is, allmost all castle sets come with grey
or black pieces and all of the pieces can be used to build a large castle with
very few pieces left over.

It's not as conducive to building a single, large contraption as other lines.
Too many specialized pieces - masts, anchors, hull parts, sails, etc - as you
note.  I don't regard this as a huge flaw, though I want lots of ships, not
one huge one.

I admit that one of the attractions of Castles (for my purposes at least) is
that I don't need a "fleet" of castles.  Lots of minifigs, but I only truly
need one castle.  Cuts down on the overall expense (at least for now).

Bruce