 Pirates / 607
Re: A Pyrate's Life
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:08:36 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Jim Stroot writes:
1.  When did you get into Lego Pirates?
Fall 1998. First attracted to Islanders(!), then fell in love with the
ships...

Interesting.  I felt Islanders marked the beginning of the end for Pirates the
moment I saw them.

I started buying Adventurers in the summer '98 and thought that the palm tree
(my favorite element) would look neat in a tropical environment. Then I came
across an old catalog showing the Islander sets and the rest is infamy... I may
order more Enchanted Islands (have 2 already) from one of the LEGO outlets.

2.  Do you own any of the big four: 6285 (Barracuda, BSB), 6286 (Schooner,
SES), 6276 (El Dorado Fortress), 6277 (Imperial Trading Post)?
All of 'em. I still have a MISB 6285 that I'm saving for a special occasion
build.

Do it with a kid.  In fact, I have never put together my Imperial Trading Post
(I mistakenly noted that I had a 6276 instead of 6277 on my own response).  I
let my son do it.  It was his favorite for quite some time.

Well, I don't have any children, but the other LEGOmaniac in the family has
moved on to Pokemon and video games at the ripe old age of 11. He still has an
unopened LEGO set from xmas! That's not natural.

4.  What's the most you paid for a non-ship set?
$180 shipped for a 6277 Imperial Trading Post. This is the one to get.

I really liked this set.  It's one of the few times I felt a CRAPP worked out
well - perhaps it was because it was used in conjunction with a normal plate.

The 6277 was my first exposure to a raised baseplate and I was disappointed.
They are too thin and cheap looking. I was afraid I was going to poke a hole in
it if I pressed the bricks down too hard.