 Pirates / 603
Re: A Pyrate's Life
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:43:48 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Since a few people are cheating on Shiri Dori's Castle survey and putting
pirates answers there, this must be nipped in the bud.  So......

1.  When did you get into Lego Pirates?

In 1989, then a long pause and then again in 1999.

2.  Do you own any of the big four: 6285 (Barracuda, BSB), 6286 (Schooner,
SES), 6276 (El Dorado Fortress), 6277 (Imperial Trading Post)?

Yes, all of them at one time or another.  I actually owned the 6285 on 4
different occasions, 6286 on 2, 6276 on 2 and 6277 on 1.
IMHO, the 6277 was not a good set for its price.  I remember saving up $90
when still in high school for this set but then when I got to the store, I
picked the 6086 which was the same price as the 6277 and was overall a much
better set.  Getting the 6277 couple years later, I still like the 6086 much
better.

3.  What's the most you paid for a ship?

Close to $200 for a mint BSB without a box.  IMHO, the BSB is the best ship in
the pirate line, much more realistic than the SES and has a better color
scheme.  After building a large detailed ship of my own, the BSB did't look as
great any more :-)

4.  What's the most you paid for a non-ship set?

$150 for a 6277.  This set was not worth it.  I just couldn't get used to the
red roofs on it.  Though smaller, the 6276 was much better and had a better
color scheme.

5.  What's your favorite non-ship pirate set other than the two big Imperial
sets noted above?

6258 and 6267 would have to be tied in first place.  The 6258 is a small set
but I like the idea of having palm leaves as a roof and this set carried
through that idea very nicely.  Of course now I don't know how that would be
possible with having palms as one piece.

6.  What's the one set you don't have that you really, really want?

None.  I owned them all at one time or another.

7.  How many blue-coated Imperial soldiers do you have?

Used to have 30+

8.  Red coats?

Used to have 20+

9.  Armada guys?

Used to have around 10

10. Pirate wenches?

Used to have too many

11. General pirate figures other than the above?

Used to have ~200

My only gripe with the pirate theme is there are too many specialized pieces
left over after building a large-scaled creation using only pieces from ALL of
the pirate sets.  That is, you can never concentrate all pieces in one
creation.
While building a large ship, there are always a lot of BURPs, palms,
baseplates, CRAPPs, bushes and wooden walls left over and when building a
fortress on land, there always seem to be a lot of hulls, masts, boats, sails
and rigging left over :-)  This might not be a bad thing but I like castle
much better in this aspect.  That is, allmost all castle sets come with grey
or black pieces and all of the pieces can be used to build a large castle with
very few pieces left over.