 Pirates / 2608
  French Squadron pics

Ahoy! A brief spell of sunshine has permitted some photos of two of my French ships. Neither has full rigging or sails (though the calico is at hand). The Eponine is a 12 gun brig: (URL) de Corvette Jacques Legeaux (left) stands at the starboard (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

Oh dear me! Quite good, indeed! I like uniforms you've cobbled up for your officers, and the ships are quite marvelous little craft. It's quite nify how you expanded the RBR hull to get your Brig to work. Is your sloop going to be larger or smaller? (...) (22 years ago, 1-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) The use of reverse slopes, then steep slopes is a direct steal from the larger Port Block ships. (...) The sloop is the smallest of the three. It's based on a Flybo hull (stretched by 4 studs). It'll be armed like the ketch, but without the (...) (22 years ago, 1-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes about some auspicious shipbuilding that's been going on in French Pacific posessions. (...) bowsprit. Hope that festivities between the Brikish and the French don't need to get too fire and thundery any time (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes: [snip] (...) Thanks! Everything from the hull pieces up was built and rebuilt several times over. (Actually, the stern was the trickiest bit... it kept looking like someone had nailed a box on the back for (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Mmmmm. Always a problem - Lego does not support well the kinds of broad and graceful curves and non cubist spaces favoured by the shipbuilders until rather recently. Modern ships one can do reasonably well snotwise, and there is enough grey (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) I used the RBR technique of 4x1 hinges and 4x8 wing plates to sweep the sides in, to approximate the curve of the hull section. It'll be interesting to see if/how the 2002 curve pieces might work with hulls. (...) Brown is a problem.... I (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

but it's probably not as bad as my officer's uniforms ;-). Hey, i liked 'em! Ahoy me heartys! I havent posted in a while so i think you new comers dont now me. Names david gardner im 11 and i live in utah (blah!) Too the point, very nice ships. i (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Those look very, very nice. Extremely, well, LEGO in execution-- in the sense that they use a lot of the "authentic" LEGO solutions to issues of geometry and so forth. I'll have to look at them more closely and make critiques later-- it's been (...) (22 years ago, 6-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Thanks! (...) I'll look forward to your comments! (...) Ammunition, huh? Yes... ummm... ahhh... I haven't got that far yet... I guess a couple of boxes on the deck with 2x2 rounds (with 2x2 round tiles & 2x2 round reverse tiles) will have to (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) So do I, but they're not pure LEGO! (...) Thanks. I'm particularly happy with the look of the corronades and the smaller cannon. I'll try to get some detail pics (or better still, ldraw them) soon. (...) The sloop is very basic compared to the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Splendid! This I *have* to see. A silly question: how many masts on the sloop? I've been reading up on my smaller ship classes lately (trying to figure out what I can build :) and I've found that sloops could either be brig-sloops (2 masts) or (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) One! Doesn't a sloop only have one? (...) Oh dear. (I thought if it was fore-and-aft (sloop) rigged one mast qualified it as a sloop, two as either a ketch or a yawl - ketch if mizzen in front of rudder post, otherwise yawl), not sure about (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Ahh, I think we've hit upon the sloop crisis. I've come to associate 'sloop' with 'corvette' -- a slightly-smaller-than-a-frigate vessel, Brig- or Ship-rigged (oh, back then my understanding is that anything less than 3 masts wasn't considered (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Ahhh.... from a simple chart I saw at a small maritime museum last week (no reference on it, and no possibility of a copy, unfortunately), a sloop is one masted fore-and-aft rigged with two sails, a cutter is one masted fore-and-aft rigged (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)