 Pirates / 2621
Re: French Squadron pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:21:39 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Those look very, very nice.  Extremely, well, LEGO in execution--
  in the sense that they use a lot of the "authentic" LEGO solutions
  to issues of geometry and so forth.

Thanks!

  I'll have to look at them more closely and make critiques later--
  it's been crazy all week.

I'll look forward to your comments!

  I did want to ask, though, about that
  mortar on the bomb ketch--where do you keep ammunition, and what
  was your source for the configuration?  (When I built mine I hadn't
  found anything to use as a basis.)

Ammunition, huh? Yes... ummm... ahhh...

I haven't got that far yet... I guess a couple of boxes on the deck with 2x2
rounds (with 2x2 round tiles & 2x2 round reverse tiles) will have to do. And
a couple of extra boxes below.

I found a couple of bomb ketch pics on the net (generally of an Amati
model), but it was built mostly from recollection. I've definitely seen pics
of flush-decked ketches with mortar pits.... although I exaggerated the
depth of the pit somewhat ;-). And of course the mortar is way, way oversized.

  Is the ketch detailed below the
  deckline?

Not as much as the brig, and (as was noted at the studs meeting yesterday)
even then I'd left out the door to the captain's (sorry, capitaine's) cabin.
In the case of the ketch, the mast extends to the keel, and there is a bunk
for the Lieutenant de Vasseux.

It should be noted that the brig has twelve cannon below decks, and very
little room to move (the gunners pretty much have to sit on the cannon to
fire them). On reflection, a four stud spacing between cannon ports would
have been more practical (or even three stud spacing). However, then it
wouldn't be a Twelve Gun Brig.

  Fine, fine ships--the French port at New Caledonia would welcome
  them, I'm sure, because it would annoy Richard to no end.  ;)

My squadron met the Agamemnon and another large ship out of Port Block at
the stud fest yesterday. The brig, which I've been thinking of as a large
ship, suddenly looked quite small....

There should be some photos available soon.

Cheers

Richie Dulin