 Pirates / 2619
Re: French Squadron pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 23:26:26 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
Ahoy!

A brief spell of sunshine has permitted some photos of two of my French ships.
Neither has full rigging or sails (though the calico is at hand).

The Eponine is a 12 gun brig:

Capitaine de Corvette Jacques Legeaux (left) stands at the starboard rail with
Marine Lieutenant Javert:
(you can see the barrels two of the 8 pounders, and also the maw of the 24
pound corronade)

One of the Aspirants is at the helm, and the marines stand by. Ensigne de
Vasseux Montpercy stands by one of the 6 pounders with two of the NCOs.

The bow,
and the stern,

The Cosette is a Bomb Ketch:

It is much smaller than the brig, but mounts a 24" mortar, as well as two
eighteen pounders on the gun deck (which can be moved from side to side...), as
well as two six pound cannon, and two six pound corronades on the spar deck:

It is commanded by Lieutenant de Vasseaux Jean Thundier:

...now to finish the sloop, make some sails, and do some hat elastic rigging.

   Those look very, very nice.  Extremely, well, LEGO in execution--
   in the sense that they use a lot of the "authentic" LEGO solutions
   to issues of geometry and so forth.

   I'll have to look at them more closely and make critiques later--
   it's been crazy all week.  I did want to ask, though, about that
   mortar on the bomb ketch--where do you keep ammunition, and what
   was your source for the configuration?  (When I built mine I hadn't
   found anything to use as a basis.)  Is the ketch detailed below the
   deckline?

   Fine, fine ships--the French port at New Caledonia would welcome
   them, I'm sure, because it would annoy Richard to no end.  ;)

   best

   LFB