 Pirates / 2617
Re: French Squadron pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 00:24:28 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
[snip]
Very nice work dude.  Particularly liked the work around the bow chasers and
bowsprit.
Thanks! Everything from the hull pieces up was built and rebuilt several
times over. (Actually, the stern was the trickiest bit... it kept looking
like someone had nailed a box on the back for the captain to live in).

Mmmmm.  Always a problem - Lego does not support well the kinds of broad and
graceful curves and non cubist spaces favoured by the shipbuilders until
rather recently.
I used the RBR technique of 4x1 hinges and 4x8 wing plates to sweep the
sides in, to approximate the curve of the hull section. It'll be interesting
to see if/how the 2002 curve pieces might work with hulls.

Modern ships one can do reasonably well snotwise, and there is enough grey
about for the purpose.  Brown on the other hand...
Brown is a problem.... I think you could justify a piratey hull in black,
though. The Bounty replica certainly looks mostly black (well... closer to
LEGO black than LEGO brown) whenever I see it sail past (which is most days!).

I've also been considering that SNOT wise hulls don't have to be straight up
and down from waterline to deck. If I can build in a horizontal curve, I can
build in a vertical curve too...

Cheers

Richie Dulin