 Pirates / 2624
Re: French Squadron pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:58:22 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kenneth Tam writes:
The sloop is very basic compared to the other two. I'll try and get some
pics next time I'm home on a sunny day. Some pics of it will be on
brickshelf in the next couple of days, having rendezvoused with some Port
Block Ships on the weekend.

Splendid! This I *have* to see. A silly question: how many masts on the
sloop?

One! Doesn't a sloop only have one?

I've been reading up on my smaller ship classes lately (trying to
figure out what I can build :) and I've found that sloops could either be
brig-sloops (2 masts) or ship-sloops (3 masts).

Oh dear. (I thought if it was fore-and-aft (sloop) rigged one mast qualified
it as a sloop, two as either a ketch or a yawl - ketch if mizzen in front of
rudder post, otherwise yawl), not sure about three. But these may be modern
definitions that I picked up when I learned to sail.

Your brig, I think, falls under the former, I'm just curious which your
sloop does.

But my brig is ship rigged (isn't it?)... I have seen pics of (I think)
brig-sloops though, ship rigged on the main mast, fore-and-aft sails on the
mizzen.

My next, next ship is a guided missile frigate, and is quite different to
the French Squadron. Pics soon, too.

No kidding! I hope they all don't sail together... :)

Well, the French were not very successful in naval battles, so every little
bit helps!

Cheers

Richie Dulin