 Pirates / 2124
Re: The Next Grey Monster.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 07:14:03 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  There are two "teaser" pics of the ship's forward 30%, which is
  complete to one deck above the AD (about 12 bricks high total).

  http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/bowside.jpg
  http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/bowtop.jpg

Good to see there are still other yards around the world turning out big
ships.  My reaction was very simple: "YYEEEEEEEESSSSS"

   Hmmm, well, I took another semi-teaser of the ship in
   "fitting-out" (albeit without her stern 20% in place--
   the ship's too long for the room otherwise) as it stands
   this evening:

   http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/sitrep0708.jpg

   Complete up to the main deck over 80% of its length.
   X and Y barbettes are not yet in place.

   As it stands, the ship is modeled after SMS (Seiner
   Majestaet Schiff) Friedrich der Grosse, one of the
   Kaiser-class battleships completed in 1912-13.  But
   mine's a bit more spread out than those were, mostly
   because I spaced the casemates too regularly.  It
   really resembles the Japanese _Kongo_ in hull form...

   I'm also going for the 1918 configuration, which has
   very cool topmasts and spiffy latticework searchlight
   platforms.

Pleased to hear you didn't go with the Japanese cruiser - it was Jap
cruisers that accounted for many of the escort carriers sunk in WWII, and
I'm a bit fond of escort carriers.

( http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/007.htm )

   I know.  That's precisely why I considered building one.  ;)
   In fact, *that particular one*...I picked up a very nice copy
   of Jentschura et al., _Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy,
   1869-1945_ and lots of detail drawings of weapons mountings
   from http://www.combinedfleet.com.

Maybe after I finish the sailing ship currently being fitted out, I need to
turn my attention to something capital out of the Brickish navy ;-)  I'm
going to be extremely interested in the German's turrets - I've never been
satisfied with my own efforts in that direction...

   Take a look.  Unfortunately the turrets are a bit on the
   "British" side--and they resemble much more closely German
   predreadnought turrets than dreadnought turrets--but I like
   the way these look.  You can see all five of them, three in
   place and two more just cluttering the deck.  What a mess!

Advice: don't stop ;-)>

   I can't!  This has to be ready for Brickfest.  It comes apart
   into five sections for transport, and besides, I have to have
   it around in case we decide to use a Class 15-thousand-whatever
   ship in the Pirate Game (not bloody likely).  ;)

   best

   Lindsay